Thursday, April 8, 2010

Extra Research

My ethnography project is going pretty well so far, and I have some decent sources to back up what I'm discovering in Rita's. I like "The Franchise Mall" because of the press releases from Rita's, which should give me a good history about when Rita's started, when they've opened in other states, etc. One thing I might want to find out is how ice cream shops are decorated and designed, since I'm trying to get into Virginia Tech's architecture program. I want to see what in the interior design makes them stand out, compared to places like McDonald's and 7-Eleven.

I consider Rita's to be a pretty laid-back place because they really only receive customers on the weekend, and then only when the weather is right. The majority of the customers are college students, while there are still adults that come in, usually with their children. Just about all of the employees are college students, excluding Jim, an elderly man whom I assume to be the manager. Rita's is a relaxing environment that has a desire to serve quality Italian ice and frozen custard, and lives up to its motto, "Ice. Custard. Happiness."

No comments:

Post a Comment